Parilla TR14 Petrol Oil Mix

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
525566uk
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 0

Parilla TR14 Petrol Oil Mix

Post by 525566uk »

Hi, My question is.. what is the preferred petrol oil mix for the Parilla TR14 engine..?
Also I've been looking for data on this engine and found some information, but i cant find what the max rpm's are for this engine.. any help would be appreciated.
Colin
(olin |\/|ills
Peter B
BHKC Comittee
BHKC Membership no.: 5

Re: Parilla TR14 Petrol Oil Mix

Post by Peter B »

Hi Colin

Are you sure about the engine that you have? There isn't a TR14. The nearest to that is the TG14 which originally came out in 1964 and was used in 100 Britain in the late 1970's. There is a photo of this engine in the Engine A/Z section of the site. If that is what you have then the engine is reasonably rare but they still turn up as they were used in the UK and France in the 70's and 80's. It was one of the earliest Parilla designs and later used in low power classes so it isn't as bulletproof as say a TT27.

Use either Shell V-Power or Tesco Momentum 99 fuel with Shell Advance M Castor base oil at 16:1 ratio. I would suggest that safe maximum revs with original 1964 parts would be around 12,000, with original 1980 parts would be 14,000 and with the latest 100cc engine parts would be 16,000+. Remember that it is still basically a 47 year old design so should be treatred with respect.
Peter Brinkworth
525566uk
BHKC Member

Post by 525566uk »

Hi Peter, your correct its a TG 14.

That's very interesting and just the information i was looking for, thanks.
So does that mean brand new engine parts can still be obtained for the TG14 or is the idea to use new parts made for a modern 100cc engine that are compatible with the TG14 ?
(olin |\/|ills
Peter B
BHKC Comittee

Post by Peter B »

Hi Colin

There are not many original parts available for the TG14. There are pistons and rings available but only for limited sizes so it really depends on what your bore size is. Original Liners, conrods and big end bearings are not. Modern 100mm conrods are available from Dartford Karting together with modern big end assemblies. Main bearings and oil seals are standard items and are readily available. Keeping the engines running is possible unless you run out of bore sizes.

Peter
Peter Brinkworth
hoopernut
BHKC Member

Post by hoopernut »

hi colin hope your happy with the karts and engine,i have just had come in a spare barrel and a liner on 48.7 to fit your tg14 parrila,both items in very good condition,as i do not have a tg14 they are not mutch use to me,they would have more use to you ,perhaps give us a call or pm kind regards rod.
ROD HOOPER
Peter B
BHKC Comittee

Post by Peter B »

Where can you get a 48.7 boost port piston from?
Peter Brinkworth
Ivan Turner

Post by Ivan Turner »

I am pretty sure I have an original CV Ignition system for a TG14, it actually came off a BA13 Super but these engines are basically the same.

I also have an original Dellorto carb to suit a BA13 / TG14

Let me know if you are interested.
Best Regards,
Ivan
525566uk
BHKC Member

Post by 525566uk »

Having great fun learning... especially wondering how i was going to stop the split rims from leaking,,, until i read a further thread on the subject.
The motor is running well at the moment and i will certainly keep the rpm's down to Peter's suggestion. I think my motor may be one of the later ones (1970s) because it has the motoplat electronic rotor.
(olin |\/|ills
MikBK77

Post by MikBK77 »

You will find some info on the motor on the Australian vintage karting site
http://www.vintagekart.4t.com/engine_info.html
in this document http://www.vintagekart.4t.com/documents ... Motors.pdf
Mike Best
Qld Vintage & Historic Karting
Australia
Peter B
BHKC Comittee

Post by Peter B »

Excellent link, Mike. Very interesting and useful.

Peter B
Peter Brinkworth