Zip Caliper

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
Malc16V

Zip Caliper

Post by Malc16V »

I have a 70's Zip Kart with what I believe is the original caliper. I'll get some photo's of the caliper, but for the time being the Kart can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2682

The Caliper is similar to that of the rather splendid Zip restored by Silverstripes viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2688

My caliper differs in that it only has one pipe feeding hydraulic fluid, unlike the two pipes on Silverstripes Kart.

I have no pads with the caliper so I assume that it will take these viewtopic.php?f=195&t=2667

I also figure that the pad release mechanism is a mechanical, bolt through sleeve, spring and caliper body into back of brake pad. However, there are some additional bolts that screw into and through the caliper body that I figure could exist to adjust the gap between pad and disc as the pad wears by providing and adjustable pad stop.

Have I figured it right cos I don't have the benefit of having raced when I was young, and my lads Tonykart self adjusting caliper makes the Zip item look like something I might have knocked up in a metalwork lesson at school :roll:

If I am right, any idea of length of bolts, springs and sleeves and which ones might do the job
cinematic

Re: Zip Caliper

Post by cinematic »

I think you have it there including the metal work class !!
Kevin
silverstripes
BHKC Membership no.: 330

Post by silverstripes »

The bolts which hold the pads in place are 35mm long and are M6. The sleeves are just tube and are 25mm long. But of course I have the 2 part caliper.

Any Help

Adrian
Adrian Veale
casemaker
BHKC Membership no.: 242

Post by casemaker »

I've just restored my Mirage which appears to have the same set-up as your own Kart. It's a bit of a nightmare, as there are several patterns of pad used (3x so I was told). Adrian at BRT was fantastic, and was able to supply pads and full repair kits for the caliper and master also. Best to send him your old pads :idea: I suggest.

Hope this helps?

Des

desmond 'AT' tatimms dot com