Axle rusting

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
JEB
BHKC Member

Axle rusting

Post by JEB »

Hi everyone........... I have heard of a product called Gibbs Brand Lubricant which is supposed to be better than WD40, but is there a more permanent way of preventing axle rust whilst keeping a bright steel finish ? Perhaps a fuel/oil resistant hard laquer/acrylic spray of some sort ???......... thanks.
Garry Bracegirdle
Justin
Site Admin
BHKC Membership no.: 202

Re: Axle rusting

Post by Justin »

Let me guess - your a class 1 driver? ;)
peter freeman
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 47

Post by peter freeman »

we are not all like that justin.
peter freeman
Justin
Site Admin
BHKC Membership no.: 202

Post by Justin »

I know Pete, but I had to laugh - fancy that, a peice of steel exposed to the air is rusting... whatever next? tyres that go flat when not in use? I have to admit im suprised though, I thought most class 1 drivers stored their karts in dehumidified airtight garages or better still - a total vacuum (to minimise the dust...)

;) :lol: :lol:
JIM COULTHARD

Re: Axle rusting TIP

Post by JIM COULTHARD »

Try this, if you can buy it. The brown paper that bearing come in, I've bought bearing that are years old and when open the bearing is still as new with no rust. Put this around your axle then put some foam pipe lagging over it then tape to hold.
mickpritchard
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 74

Post by mickpritchard »

Hi Garry,

You could always try storing it underneath a diesel kart, the constant flow of oil will keep your axle rust free :lol:

Regards,

Mick
silverstripes
BHKC Membership no.: 330

Post by silverstripes »

I've always found that polish works :D :D :D

Lots and lots of polish :D :D :D

OOOhhhh lovely polish :D :D :D :D

Adrian
Adrian Veale
mickpritchard
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 74

Post by mickpritchard »

Bearings have high chromium content, so are more resistant to oxidation than mild steel. Physical vapour deposition of Chromium Nitride is a good solution (at great expense). The cheapest way would be to coat the steel with grease and then wash off with petrol/solvent when you take the kart to an event.

Regards,

Mick
JEB
BHKC Member

Post by JEB »

Thanks for all the inovative solutions, keep them coming - I find that waxing/brown paper keeps things nice and shiny! :lol:
Garry Bracegirdle
Chris Arnold
BHKC Member

Post by Chris Arnold »

Justin,

I am looking for your support for a new market opportunity.

As I am sure all our true original Class 4 drivers will confirm, your traditional class 4 driver was very wary of any parts on their kart that appeared too shiny, being frightened that these may possibly be clean.

In order to avoid a shock to their system when loading the kart for the next meeting, it was important to make sure that the axle and any other "shiny" bits blended in properly with the general "ambiance" of the fully prepared competion class 4 kart, i.e. several meetings worth of mud and "*rap".

Whilst various companies have secured a market for "air conditioned" storage systems, I am investigating a system where a moist salty atmosphere can be combined with extreme changes in temperature and the inclusion of significant dust particles.

I believe this will could have a great market for our gearstick waggling members, who really want to maintain their fantastic restored karts to the standard that they would originally have been seen in, when they were in their competition prime.

Who thinks I am on to a winner?