Girling Master Cylinder tips?

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
Justin
Site Admin
BHKC Membership no.: 202

Girling Master Cylinder tips?

Post by Justin »

Hi all,

Just got done doing the Appleby calipers on my Barlotti and took a look at the girling master cylinders.
Managed to pump out the piston assembly using a foot pump and vaious bits of tube, and the seals look fine, and th ebore nice and smooth with no pitting. On refitting however, you can push the rod down but it doesnt return quickly (if you leave it for 20 seconds it slowly creeps back up to rest at the top). This is the same for both of them, so im wondering if I should reassmble dry or lubricate with brake fluid or some sort of grease?

As always any and all pointers appreciated (especially in this instance as it will be going on the track at rowrah regardless ;))

Cheers

Justin
DaveM
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 124

Re: Girling Master Cylinder tips?

Post by DaveM »

Hi Justin

Contrary to what has been put on here before regarding spitting on the seals, both Girling and Lockheed spent a lot of time & money developing special silicone lubricants (greases) specifically for this purpose. The pink type should always be used to pre-lubricate pistons & seals with the blue type being used on mechanical parts. They should never be assembled dry, as a last resort you could use a bit of dot 5 (silicone brake fluid) but it's not as good. on no account use spit or water, brake fluid is hygroscopic. any water in the fluid will boil when the brakes get hot resulting in bubbles within the cylinders with the resultant spongy "no brakes" feeling .

Dave
Dave Murdoch
Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

Thanks for the tips Dave, I'll have to resort to brake fluid as I don't think I'll find any girling grease between now and the weekend :)
JEB
BHKC Member

Post by JEB »

Hi everyone......................What's the "pink stuff" called and where can I get it from please, I am currently replacing the caliper seals and refurbishing my Zip Powerstop Brake made by Girling...............thanks
Garry Bracegirdle
Justin
Site Admin

Post by Justin »

JEB
BHKC Member

Post by JEB »

Superfast response !
Sorted :D