Electrolysis Definately works!

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
Ste
BHKC Membership no.: 156

Electrolysis Definately works!

Post by Ste »

By coincidence alone, i looked up electrolysis on the internet at work on Saturday, as a way of shifting the rust out of the tank, and decided id probably give it a go...

when i got home that night, i realised Postman Pat had delivered me the latest BHKC newsletter, which on reading also had an article in it regarding electrolysis! - how strange id just looked it up that very same day.

anyway, i set out making a way of suspending a ferrous metal bar across the inside of the tank, without it short circuiting to the tank itself...

Once done, i made up my solution, dug out the battery charger and connected up....

Its not finished doing its thing yet, and i do plan on doing it for another few hours at least, but considering how simple to set up it is, i am very impressed with the results!! The second picture is after about half an hour!!!

Previously i had already got as much rust out as possible, using broken glass, chain, nuts and bolts, small pebbles etc and shaking like buggery, and didnt think id done a bad job, however, looking at what just half an hour with the mad professors set up has done, id definately reccomend it is a good way of shifting rust!!

Regards

Ste
classic Ed
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 199

Re: Electrolysis Definately works!

Post by classic Ed »

Thats quite a result. I have a few Lambretta tanks that could do with that. I must have a bash at it and see if i can salvage them.
Ed Hocking.
Ste
BHKC Membership no.: 156

Post by Ste »

I'll post it in there tomorrow Wyatt, No probs!

Ste
Justin
Site Admin
BHKC Membership no.: 202

Post by Justin »

Hi Ste,

Any chance you could give a few more details? I think I missed that particular newsletter :(

Justin
briansa3
BHKC Member

Re: Electrolysis Definately works! (Derusting Parts)

Post by briansa3 »

hi all

I was looking through the back issues of the newsletter for another article and found the electrolysis article in the
Oct 2008-Feb 2009 issue. As 911hillclimber was looking for some cleaning hints I thought I would put the article on the website. The item that Chris John shows is from a Buckler car not a kart. Chris Is the Buckler Register chairman and orginally wrote the article for the Buckler Register (owner's club) newsletter Dec 2008.

brian
Attachments
derust.pdf
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 880 times
Brian Malin
911hillclimber
BHKC Membership no.: 0

Post by 911hillclimber »

This kind of info is always v interesting!

Also interesting that some on here have a Lambretta interest. I nearly started restoring my TV 175 instead of doing a Kart this winter. Not sure which is the harder, kart or Lambretta? :?:

Some chemical way to remove alooy corrosion (the white rust) would be a blessing just now as I've looked closely at my wheels.. :roll: