Post by Villiersman »

N.B. CLICK TO ENLARGE
N.B. CLICK TO ENLARGE
briansa3
BHKC Member

Re: List of Buckler results year uncertain

Post by briansa3 »

HI all

The year is 1961. Wille Forbes became Scottish champion. Paul Biagi is the same person of Biagi 701 fame (now owned by Chris Smythe). In the world championships, Roger Davis was beaten by Peter Freeman driving a Wackall/Bultaco. Roger Keele retired with mechanical failure, so even the good can have a bad day. Quite sure if you buy Peter a drink he will tell you all about it. He might also give you his autograph!

Brian
Brian Malin
jadkarting
BHKC Member

Post by jadkarting »

Interesting to see Brian Jordan's name mentioned. Brian was from Wolverhampton originally and worked for Villiers as a Development Engineer. He had a VW Transporter van which I used to cadge a lift in to some meetings since I was racing a Buckler Mc20 in Class 1 then. He was a good friend of my brother, Roger Davis, who also features in this ad having finished second in the Class IV race which was held alongside the Class 1 & 2 World Championship races at Shenington. Roger was using an unusual engine, a Maico 175 cc unit, which proved reliable but not as powerful as the Spanish engines then appearing.As Brian correctly says, Roger finished second behind Peter Freeman on one of Norman Ward's Wackalls.
I spent that World Champ meeting working for Bill Blenkinsop who was the organiser of the British Kart Club who ran that meeting to good effect. I remember Johnny Brise making his mark with a 100 cc Montesa engine up against all the hot McCullochs from the USA.
Andrew Davis
briansa3
BHKC Member

Post by briansa3 »

Thanks for the input on Brian Jordon. Other well known drivers of the time on list are Tony Sissons (Class one British champion and Progress & Buckler agent). Joe Blatchley (later of Shrike fame) and Peter HIlton who was co-director and designer with Derek Buckler from 1958-61. He left in 1961 to take a job in aviation which ended his short karting carreer. He was responsible for getting Buckler karts into the Channel Islands and the deal with Chick Robilliard.
I'm stuck with other people on the list and also where Mike Luff, Neville Evans and Paddy Gold are. The people were directors of the kart company from 1962 until 1965 and I hope may be identify the last models deigned and built. I know that Shannon has an interesting kart that looks like one of these 1965 karts, but we are not sure. To some degree Les Shephard has been able to help but they stll remain elusive.
Brian Malin