Mk5 Zip Silverstone " Fronts"

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
Zip-Bultaco-250

Mk5 Zip Silverstone " Fronts"

Post by Zip-Bultaco-250 »

Just wondered if anyone has experienced the same problem as me? My Zip is standard at the front with pressed steel drums, blow type rims held on the stub axle with taper bearings and a 3/4 BSF nylon. I have acquired tyres from retro racer which are 6" wide rears and 5" wide fronts.

Of course the front rims are only 3 1/2" wide with no prospect of altering things without major mods, is there anything available which will allow me to fit some split rims to suit the 5" wide tyres or do I try fitting the skinny tyres to suit the current set up? ( was concerned that it may suffer from serious understeer???

Any help or advice most welcome

Kind regards

Dave
David Cheetham
Oldham
Lancs.
bultaco49
BHKC Comittee
BHKC Membership no.: 0

Re: Mk5 Zip Silverstone " Fronts"

Post by bultaco49 »

Hi David - This photo shows two Zip Silverstone's (on right). The '68' model and the '72' model. The 68 had 410/350-5 tyres on Blow split rims. The 72 has 10.5x4.5-6 (ignore the 6 diameter) on Zip split rims. Both are correct sizes for the period. I think your Mk V Silverstone has the correct rims and your kart should have the smaller 410/350 tyre fitted. The tyres you have are for the Historic period according to RaceRetro regs. Your Silverstone is from the Vintage period.

Res are here - http://www.retroracer-hks.com/downloads ... 20Regs.pdf
Tyres for vintage are on page 4.
WP_20140406_12_05_04_Pro.jpg
Tim Norwood
Zip-Bultaco-250

Re: Mk5 Zip Silverstone " Fronts"

Post by Zip-Bultaco-250 »

Hi Tim, skinny fronts it is then!!
Many thanks for your time and effort,

Best regards

Dave
David Cheetham