Zip Mirage

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
guitarwhitedog

Zip Mirage

Post by guitarwhitedog »

Hi Following on from the pixs I post yesterday of Mirage resto, I need some help/info please.
The kart has Hurst Airheart brakes fitted and I would like to service them, I have found Hurst website in the US, is there any stockist of pads and seal kits in the UK or EU.
The front rims have the bearings held in a carrier then bolted to the rim, is the correct for the Mirage, they have a price marked on them of £2.25 each, is this a clue to their age.
Was the rear axle 1 inch dia or 25mm
How long was the Mirage available.
In the 1977 ZIP catalogue there was a Euro fun kart advertised fitted with a lower powered clutched engine, what make/model was the engine.
That's it for now.
Cheers
Dave
Attachments
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG
mickpritchard
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 74

Re: Zip Mirage

Post by mickpritchard »

Hi Dave,

The Mirage came out in 1974 and was produced until 1976. The basic frame was then used for the Euro. The Mirage came with a Zip Power Stop brake and if you want to make the kart original, this is what you should use. They do come up on eBay and will be a cheaper option than restoring the Airheart. With the Airheart floating disc, the kart would need a 1" axle. The Mirage that I had until recently had been heavily modified and had a 1" axle and. If you are going to fit the Zip brake I would go for a 25mm axle as it will be easier to find carriers and hubs. The spun Aluminium rims you have for the front are correct, but the Nylon hubs, would have been Aluminium when the kart was new.

HTH Mick
guitarwhitedog

Post by guitarwhitedog »

Thanks Mick,
Is this the correct one. if so do you replace the pad adjusting set pins for locking grub screws on the bracket side of the calliper. I have checked the rear running gear and it is all 1 inch, so if I fit the ZIP brakes I can machine out a 25mm carrier. The original owners tells me the Airheart was fitted from new, I agree the cost of Hurst parts are high, I do prefer the look of it though.
Cheers
Dave
Attachments
IMG_0428.JPG
mickpritchard
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 74

Post by mickpritchard »

Hi Dave I think the adjusting bolts look OK, but it might be worth having a look at other peoples set-ups. If the caliper mount was made for the Airheart, you will have to check the mounting arrangement. The Airheart is a better brake, its just that it will cost a fortune to re-fit it and you will need the floating disk to go with it.

Cheers, Mick