Blow Hustler

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
Steve Baxter

Blow Hustler

Post by Steve Baxter »

I have just bought an old Blow Hustler and am starting to restore it.

There is quite a lot of play in the stub axle assembly between the king pin and bearings in the frame. It looks like the bearings are fairly new but perhaps the wrong size. I was wondering if these were originally bushes rather than needle roller bearings?

I think I know the answer to this question but does anyone have any wheels?

Thanks

Steve
bultaco49
BHKC Comittee
BHKC Membership no.: 0

Re: Blow Hustler

Post by bultaco49 »

Hi Steve

I restored a Blow Hustler a couple of years ago so I can send you details of anything you need to know.

To restore the kinpins you will need a pair of 3/8 20 tpi BSF x 4" bolts which need to be exactly 3/8". Best place to source these is from someone who stocks old RAF surplus supplies as aircraft bolts are usually spot on size. Bolt should slip through top yoke but be threaded into bottom yoke (ensuring bearing face is on unthreaded part).

Kingpin is fitted with two roller bearings top & bottom BA66ZOH 3/8x9/16x3/8 available from simply bearings

I fit my hubs with a thrust washer top & bottom & tighten bolt until the hub just pinches then lock bolt with nyloc nut.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.html
2012-05-05 16.49.31.jpg

Tim
Tim Norwood
bultaco49
BHKC Comittee

Post by bultaco49 »

Steve - you can get the tank stickers from Stickerbucket - best contacted through BHKC Facebook site.

My Hustler will be at Donington and Crystal Palace.

Are you anywhere near Oxford?

Tim
Tim Norwood
john o
BHKC Member

Post by john o »

I have some Blow Hustler Tank Stickers will be at Donington
John Ostins
Steve Baxter

Post by Steve Baxter »

Thanks for the info.

I have new bearings and bolts but still too much play. Will try and source bolts as you suggest.

Tim; I'm in Sunderland but will try and get Donington but need to be at Oulton Park that weekend so not sure.

Anybody any ideas on wheels. I have one set which I am getting repaired but that leaves me a bit stuck for wets. Also what tyres do you use. I have the originals but they are hard as nails!!

Steve
bultaco49
BHKC Comittee

Post by bultaco49 »

Hi Steve

What type of rims are you using? If you are using the split rims fitted you can probably get some from Dave Howarth.

What is that peculiar arrangement on the front hubs? Have spacers been fitted between the drums and the hubs? I think you have hubs originally for 6" diameter wheels. With a 6" wheel the inset of the wheel fits over the brake drum so hence the spacer. Look at the front hub on mine which has 6" wheels.

If you want to return it to original Azusa wheel are available from the US and new tyres are available from Hoosier (they are for the superkart series). 2nd hand slick & wet Dunlops can be bought for next to nothing from Superkart owners.

Tim
Tim Norwood
Steve Baxter

Post by Steve Baxter »

The rims are the originals (I think). Haven't measured them but they fit into the rear axle by way of one large nut on the end of the threaded axle. The fronts are split and the fittings incorporate the drum onto the back of the wheel which is then all held in place by one large nut onto the stub axle.

Steve
bultaco49
BHKC Comittee

Post by bultaco49 »

Hi Again Steve.

The Hustler was fitted with both 5" and 6" wheels as standard. 5" had a 4" drum and 6" a 5" drum. three bolts went through drum and both halves of the wheels. Drum was inset into wheel. See the photos attached. If your drum is a 5" the spacer is so 5" wheels could be fitted as the drum would be too big to inset into the wheels.

Wheels in picture are Azusa wheel fitted as original and still available.

Both sizes of wheel fit onto the shouldered 1" rear axle.
WP_20150416_17_17_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20150416_17_18_09_Pro.jpg
Tim Norwood