New member GetKart restoration

A place to put all your tips for restoring karts.
bertie500
BHKC Member

New member GetKart restoration

Post by bertie500 »

image.jpg
image.jpg (30.6 KiB) Viewed 40605 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 40605 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 40605 times
Hi new member with a load of questions any pointers would be much appreciated. I have a 1961 Getkart (thanks for the assistance in identifying) with a zundapp Bella I'm up to speed on the engine having restored several 50s scooters but would appreciate advise on the following.
Chassis colour is blue I understand that get karts were white, did they use any other colours? Previous owner had for over 40 years could not tell me much other than he never changed anything colour or otherwise and there is no evidence of it ever being white it's bare metal black with light blue top coat . Would you go white or keep the colour it's been for at least 40 years and what's the preferred option for reprinting this vintage spray / powder coat?

Next a tray has been welded to the chassis to accommodate the battery which is a full size car battery! I guess this would not be desirable on track and a small bike battery preferred so I'm planning on removing or would you leave as?

Next rear drum linkage is incomplete and connected to one side only and incorrectly so I need to make the pivots and rods any pictures of similar would be a big help.

Finally tyres best place to buy?

Have been karting for years and run a 250 swiss auto but have no clue about this vintage but really enjoying finding out any help especially from fellow Getkart owners would be very welcome thanks for reading and looking forward to Stoneleigh
bultaco49
BHKC Comittee
BHKC Membership no.: 0

Re: New member GetKart restoration

Post by bultaco49 »

There is a Track Test of the GetKart in the January 1961 issue of karting. I'm sure one or other of the members will have that issue to take a copy of the article from or look on Ebay. Old Karting magazines turn up from time to time (good practice for trawling through Ebay for old kart parts!)

You can read the text from the archive here -

http://karting.archive.netcopy.co.uk/pa ... ry-1962/24

Why not enter your Getkart for display in the marquee at Race Retro show and bring it along? It would be good to have an unrestored find on show. I'm sure you will get lot of interest and help from the members. You can bring entered karts into the show and park by the BHKC marquee (Look for the farm shop and we are just behind).

(On the forum go to - Events 2014, Race Retro Show Stoneleigh 22nd & 23rd February. On Track Demo and Static Display, Entry list and enter it under class IV.)

see you at the show!

Tim Norwood
Tim Norwood
briansa3
BHKC Member

Post by briansa3 »

hi

the Get kart track test is under "karting magazine track tests" 1961 on our website.
Can anyone confirm that Darryl Mander or Bob Rawden has taken over tyres sales from Tony Barkas?
a small 12 v motor bike battery does most karts. The existing coil will be okay. I will have my red Buckler at race retro so you can have look at that.

Brian
Brian Malin
Darryl Mander
BHKC Member

Post by Darryl Mander »

Brian
Bob & I now hold the Retro Racer stock of Duro tyres

Regards
Darryl
RWH
BHKC Member
BHKC Membership no.: 0

Post by RWH »

I think I have read somewhere that Gerry Philpotts was a Getkart driver as a young lad.
He may know what colours were available, or if people custom painted them?

Any recollections Gerry...???

PS: If he's not listening Bertie, try sending a PM.
Richard Higgs
gange217
BHKC Member

Post by gange217 »

Back in 1962/63 when I was a lad my dad bought 6 of these with Villiers engines on plus a load of Villiers invalid carriage engine spares from a company called Pride & Clark in Stockwell south London, he sold them all on as he only realy wanted the engine parts but as I recal they were a Bluey Grey colour not disimilar to the photos.Regards Reg.